This was my first time pickling zucchini. So I researched a few recipes and found one that I thought looked good. The original recipe can be found at Kitchen Gadget Girl. If you have a favorite pickling recipe, please share!
Here are the goods:
4 pounds zucchini
1 pound onions
1/2 cup sea salt
4 cups apple cider vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 Tbsp turmeric
2 tsp celery seed
1 Tbsp dried mustard
2 tsp mustard seed
1. Thinly slice the onion and zucchini. Cover with water and salt. Mix, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
2. Drain and thoroughly dry the zucchini. Fill clean, sterilized jars with zucchini and onion.
3. In a large sauce pan combine the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Pour mixture over the zucchini in the jars.
4. Use a butter knife to get out any air bubbles.
5. Seal and process jars for 15-20 minutes in a canner.
Here I cut the smaller zucchini into rounds. I like the mixture of colour and texture.