Hi friends!! I have to say that this is my absolute favorite way to prepare any kind of “sandwich” in the pie iron. Using tortillas creates the perfect pocket and bread to filling ratio in my opinion! These Pie Iron Chicken Pesto Pockets are beyond delicious and sure to become a family favorite so be sure to Pin them for later!
Simple is key when camping! Purchase ingredients that are already prepared and easy to pack. Most of our supplies were bought at Costco.
I love Pie Irons for cooking while camping. We also call them camp cookers. It is essentially a cast iron sandwich maker that you can heat over the open fire. We use it year round and it works like a charm over the propane fire as well (whenever there is a fire ban in place). You can purchase a Pie Iron straight from Amazon or find them at Canadian Tire or other outdoor specialty stores.
For this simple camping recipe you will need…
1 Tbsp pesto
2-3 slices of cooked chicken breast
1/8 cup mozzarella shredded cheese
Non-stick cooking spray (optional)
Spray the interior of the pie iron with non stick spray.
Place one side of the tortilla on the pie iron, layer with chicken, pesto and cheese.
Fold tortilla into a “pocket”.
Close and latch the pie iron.
Cook over the fire, opening the iron to check progress periodically.
Cook for approximately 3 mins per side depending on how hot the fire is.
- 1 tortilla
- 1 Tbsp pesto
- 2-3 slices of cooked chicken breast
- ⅛ cup mozzarella shredded cheese
- Non-stick cooking spray (optional)
- Spray the interior of the pie iron with non stick spray.
- Place one side of the tortilla on the pie iron, layer with chicken, pesto and cheese.
- Fold tortilla into a "pocket".
- Close and latch the pie iron.
- Cook over the fire, opening the iron to check progress periodically.
- Cook for approximately 3 mins per side depending on how hot the fire is.
I fold the tortilla a bit like and envelope within the pie iron. The melty cheese helps to hold the pocket together once cooked.
You could add all sorts of fillings to this recipe! Just pack a bunch of tortillas and fill them with camping leftovers for easy lunch on the go while camping! Egg and ham for breakfast? Jam and marshmallows for dessert? The possibilities are endless…